Megan Thee Stallion Files Lawsuit Against Label, Receives Clearance To Release Music This Week

Photo: WireImage

Megan Thee Stallion is in a not so hot situation with her label 1501 Certified Entertainment and its owner Carl Crawford.

According to TMZ, Megan filed a lawsuit against her label and Crawford on Monday. She was also awarded a temporary restraining order which prevents her label from blocking her plans to drop music this Friday.

On Sunday, the resident Hot Girl took to Instagram to explain how her request to renegotiate her contract led to 1501 blocking her new music.

“So when I got with Roc Nation, I got real management. I got real lawyers,” said Megan. “They was like, ‘Do you know that this is in your contract?'”

Once the lawyers brought a few questionable things to her attention, the rapper attempted to renegotiate her contract; however, the label responded differently then she expected.

“Soon as I said I want to renegotiate my contract everything went left,” said Megan. “So now they telling a b*tch that she can’t drop no music.”

Megan says she was around 20 when signed with 1501. She clarified on Twitter that she in fact read the contract, but that she didn’t understand all the verbiage.

Many social users and industry professionals have weighed in on the controversy including 1501. A post from the page seemingly addressing the situation went up Sunday.

One social user commented under the post in short expressing that 1501 made Megan, but Megan’s best friend Kelsey responded and said it’s actually the other way around.

Now Megan is suing 1501 and Crawford for at least $1 million in damages.

In the suit, Megan reportedly asks a judge declare her recording contract with 1501 void. She claims that 1501 gets 60% of her recording income. She does get the remaining 40%, but she has to use that money to pay her engineers and featured artists.

The contract also allegedly says that all money from Megan’s touring and live performances are paid directly to 1501. She’s suppose to get a proper accounting of her cut, but claims what they’ve provided has been “purposefully and deceptively vague.”

According to Billboard, 1501 Entertainment has been ordered “to do nothing to prevent the release, distribution, and sale of [Megan Pete’s] new records,” “to refrain from threatening or posting any threatening any retaliatory social media posts or threats against Pete,” to “refrain from threatening anyone associated with Pete or trying to prevent or limit others from working with Pete” and “to not intentionally falsify, alter, spoil, hide, transfer, or otherwise destroy any documents, evidence or recordings related to Pete in any way.”

In a statement, Megan’s attorney Richard Busch said his team is happy about the restraining order.

“We are very happy the Court granted our TRO and thrilled that the world should be able to now hear Megan’s new music on March 6. We will now proceed with the other claims set forth in the petition.”

Megan took to Twitter to celebrate and shared that new music will be dropping this upcoming Friday.

Share Your Thoughts

Bryant Lydell

Bryant Lydell is creative, personable and quick-witted Howard and USC alum. He's the founder of The Top Tea, a songwriter, screenwriter and member of the casting team for Netflix's NAACP Image Award-winning hip-hop competition series Rhythm + Flow.

InstagramInstagram did not return a 200.

@TheTopTea